Subject: Debian Release Roadmap
From: Christian Schwarz <[email-masked]>
To: Debian Development <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 23:33:09 +0100 (CET)

Hi folks!

We had a discussion on debian-private in the last days about the release
of Debian 2.0. I decided (with agreement of the other developers) to
continue Brian's "Upcoming Debian Releases" postings for now. The goal is
to get Debian 2.0 released in a reasonable time while keeping the high
quality of our distribution and adding new features, of course :)

Therefore, I'll maintain several lists: list of release requirements
(previously called release "goals"), list of action items, responsibles,
etc. Brian will continue to make the decision regarding functionality and
which packages are included or dropped.

I've set up new pages that contain up-to-date information about the next
Debian releases. The URL is: 

  http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-roadmap/

If included a text version of the home page. It gives an explanation of
how release management will be done in the future. Any comments, critics,
suggestions, etc. are welcome!

Please tell me if you like the web pages that way. If you agree with its
contents, we should add a hyper link from www.debian.org to the page and
announce it's availability on the other lists.

Thanks,

Chris

[Note, that the web page currently contains one link to the list of
"Release Requirements for Debian 2.0". Please check out me other posting
here, for details.]

-------cut-here--------

                          Debian Release Roadmaps

               Last updated on Wed, 7 Jan 1998 17:43:58 +0100

About Debian's Release Management

These web pages have been set up to provide up-to-date information about
scheduled Debian releases for all Debian developers and users. 

To get releases of large pieces of software like Debian GNU/Linux out in
time while keeping a high quality and implementing new features, some
coordination between the developers is necessary. 

The first step towards a release is to define release requirements, that
is, a list of features which will be implemented in a release. 

The second step is to compare the current implementation against the list
of release requirements. This will result in a list of work packages, each
of which will be split into several action items. Most of the action items
will be reported to our Bug Tracking System. For other, non-package
related actions responsibles will be defined (release organization), who
will implement a feature or who will coordinate several people to
implement a feature, and a deadline until when the feature should be
implemented. This person has to report any appearing difficulties that may
delay the implementation, immediately, so we can discuss what to do with
the feature (either give more time, have more people working on a topic,
drop the release requirement, etc.). 

The development progress will be watched to determine when a release is
justified and to define dead-lines for the code freeze and the release.
All these dates are documented in the frame schedule of a release. 

The collection of release specific information will be called release
planning documentation. 

Debian GNU/Linux 2.0

Release 2.0 has the code-name hamm. It will be fully based on glibc 2.0
(libc6) and support more hardware architectures. 

Below, you'll find the different parts of the release planning
documentation for Debian 2.0: 

   * Release requirements

Coming soon: 

   * Frame schedule

   * Release organization

   * Work packages and action items

   * Development progress

Debian GNU/Linux 2.1

Release 2.1 will implement the FHS, will have a new frontend to the dpkg
package management tool, and will have several enhancements with respect
to online documentation. 

Coming soon: 

   * Release requirements

   * Frame schedule

   * Release organization

   * Work packages and action items

   * Development progress

 -------------
 Please send all comments, critics,
 and suggestions about this web page
 to Christian Schwarz or to the
 Debian Development mailing list. 
 
--                 Christian Schwarz
                    [email-masked], [email-masked],
Don't know Perl?     [email-masked], [email-masked]
      
Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/

--
TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
[email-masked] . 
Trouble?  e-mail to [email-masked] .